Sunday, June 19, 2011

Matthew's First Father's Day

For Matthew's very first Father's Day, Jacob and I have been scheming for weeks to make sure it was a special one for him. 


The festivities started Saturday morning when I told Matthew we had to leave the apartment by 9am.  I told him to pack a bag with a swimsuit and hiking boots (not that he would need either, but I needed to make sure he really had no idea where we were headed!).  I plugged the address in the GPS and told him to just start driving.  We drove about 40 minutes to town called Thiers. Thiers is famous for their knife making.  We went there last year and bought a set of steak knifes with our initial engraved in them.  Matthew took our friends (and Jacob's godparents) back there when they visited us last summer.  But Saturday we had something special planned for Matthew.  First, let me say that Matthew has an addiction to two things:  watches and pocket knives.  He also seems to have a curse when it comes to these two things.  I can't tell you how many watches he has lost or had stolen.  He also seems to really enjoy giving away his pocket knives- like at airport security checkpoints, courthouses, or even an Atlanta Braves game. 

Anyway, back to Saturday.  Awhile ago, another American Michelin expat posted on facebook pictures of a day she spent in Thiers making her own knife.  As soon as I heard about it, I just knew I had to take Matthew.  The program has only been open since April, and basically you call and make a reservation, show up, and are given a guide who shows you how to make your own pocket knife (kids can make a butter knife).  I made two reservations, but planned on Matthew making both knives- one for him and one he could give Jacob sometime in the (distant) future.  There was a little bit of concern that the noise would bother Jacob, but since he fell asleep amidst the hammering and belt sanders, apparently it wasn't an issue for him!



It was a really cool experience.  I highly recommend it to anyone living in or visiting the Auvergne.


We ate a great lunch at the same little restaurant we ate at last year, and then headed home.  

I really hate this photo of me, but Matthew thinks it is just hilarious.  He loves how my facial expression and Jacob's are just alike.  Like mother, like son, apparently.

 

Saturday night, after putting Jacob to bed, I made Matthew a special dinner.  Grilled côte de bœuf (steak), homard entier (whole lobster, that I made Matthew stick in the pot because I just couldn't bear to do it!), haricots verts (green beans), and, um, homemade bacon lover's macaroni and cheese (sorry, no french translation for that!).  I also attempted for the first time to make Matthew's favorite- Key Lime Pie.  Although graham crackers for the crust don't exist in France, and neither do key limes.  All in all, it turned out pretty good though.

This morning, I offered to let Matthew sleep in, but he couldn't go back to sleep.  So our little family was up early.  After nursing Jacob, I handed him off to make Matthew the Father's Day breakfast (do you see a theme developing for the weekend?) that I had planned on serving him in bed.  Caramelized onion, bacon, and Gruyere Frittata with homemade biscuits were on the menu.  Oh, and some of the most beautiful strawberries that we picked up at the Saturday market in Thiers.  Jacob and I also gave Matthew a framed picture and a picture/poem I made for him.

  
Today has been a wonderfully lazy Sunday.  I love my little family, and I love Jacob's most awesome daddy.  Happy Father's Day Matthew!

Watching TV with Daddy.
 

No comments: